The nomadic lifestyle can be truly AWEmazing, but it still presents plenty of challenges. The resources on this page may be helpful to you on your journey.
Quartzsite and Ehrenberg, along with several other areas along the Colorado River in the desert southwest, are very popular with nomads and snowbirds. The weather in this region is typically pleasant throughout the winter months, while free and inexpensive camping options are plentiful.
Many nomads are introverts, but it is still rewarding to meet together with other like-minded folks on occasion. Gatherings provide a perfect opportunity.
- Women’s Rubber Tramp Rendezvous – Hosted by Suanne Carlson: January 4-8, 2019 in Bouse, Arizona.
- Rubber Tramp Rendezvous – Hosted by Bob Wells: January 9-20, 2019. Location to be determined (pending permits & verification)
- The RV Entrepreneur Summit – March 21-24, 2019 at Lake Guntersville State Park in Guntersville, Alabama. The RV Entrepreneur Summit is an annual business conference for RVers.
- 2019 Midwest Vanlife Gathering – May 17-19, 2019 in southern Illinois. This gathering is a fundraiser. Visit the official website or Facebook event page for more information or to purchase tickets.
- Descend on Bend – August 29 – September 2, 2019 (Labor Day Weekend) at Outback Station in La Pine, Oregon. Registration for the 2019 gathering will open on June 1.
- Annual Winter Two Meander Meetup – Dates and location will be announced soon.
- Rubber Tramp Rendezvous – January 11-21, 2018 in Quartzsite, Arizona
- Midwest Vanlife Gathering – Missouri – May 18-20, 2018 in the Mark Twain National Forest
- Teton Valley Vanlife Gathering – Idaho/Wyoming – June 15-17, 2018 – in Teton Valley, Idaho
- Colorado Vanlife Gathering – July 27-29, 2018 in Basalt, Colorado
- Taos Vanlife Gathering – New Mexico – August 10-12, 2018 in Taos
- Asheville Vanlife Rally – North Carolina – September 21-23, 2018
- Descend on Bend – September 27-30, 2018 near Bend, Oregon. Registration is now open, but space is limited so early registration is encouraged.
- North Texas Fall Meetup – October 26-28, 2018 at Cedar Hill State Park, Texas. Hosted by Lola, Lost On Land Again. Contact: email@example.com
- Two Meander Annual Gathering – December 12-16, 2018 at Rice Ranch in Quartzsite, Arizona
A curated selection of apps for your smartphone is an indispensable tool for many nomads. These are apps that we actually use in our travels.
- Campendium – Free and inexpensive campsite directory. Available for iOS.
- US Public Lands – Interactive public lands maps from Two Steps Beyond. Available for iOS and Android.
- Coverage? – Cell coverage maps from Two Steps Beyond. Available for iOS and Android.
- Allstays Camp & Tent – Campsite directory from AllStays. Available for iOS.
- Allstays Truck & Travel – Directory of truck stops and travel plazas for overnight stops. Available for iOS.
- Park Advisor – Directory of RV parks and campgrounds. Available for iOS and Android.
- GasBuddy – Never pay too much for gas again. Available for iOS and Android.
- Avenza Maps – Interactive, downloadable maps to help you know exactly where you are traveling or camping. Available for iOS and Android.
- Sensorly – Speed tests and crowd-sourced cell coverage maps. Available for iOS and Android.
There are many resources available online for nomads. These are websites that we have found useful over the years.
- Campendium – This campsite review website features high-quality listings and good information. Campendium is now Robert’s favorite campsite directory resources, and they also offer a free app.
- Free Campsites – One of the best-known directories of free and inexpensive campsites. The quality of listings, as well as the amount of detail, varies because many are submitted by site users.
- Glacier Water – Online directory of Glacier Water dispensers that we use regularly.
Camper Van and RV Rentals
Are you considering life on the road, but not sure if it is really for you? One option is to rent a camper van or RV for a few days or weeks so that you can experience living in a vehicle.
Camper Van Rentals
Native Campervans (Denver, CO) allows you to experience the nomadic lifestyle in a Dodge Grand Caravan or Dodge Ram ProMaster camper van.
Escape Campervans (Los Angeles, CA; San Francisco, CA; Miami, FL; Las Vegas, NV; New York, NY; Denver, CO; Seattle, WA; Phoenix, AZ; Atlanta, GA; Vancouver, BC) offers both minivans and full-size vans that are outfitted for camping.
Lost Campers (San Francisco, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Salt Lake City, UT; Seattle, WA) is ready to help you “get lost” on an adventure in a minivan camper.
Wandervans (Boise, ID) offers a choice between a full-size camper van and a Roadtrek Etrek.
Vintage Surfari Wagons (Costa Mesa, CA) provides an opportunity to indulge your nostalgic side with vintage VW camper van rentals.
Jucy RV Rentals (San Francisco, CA; Los Angeles, CA; Las Vegas, NV) offers campers several “Mini RV” options.
Roamerica (Portland, OR) offers stocked camper van rentals in Portland.
Basecamper Vans (Salt Lake City, UT) allows you to choose between a full-size camper van, a minivan camper, or a teardrop trailer.
Campervan North America (Seattle, WA; Las Vegas, NV; Denver, CO; Orlando, FL; Bozeman, MT) provides both full-size and minivan camper vans.
Adventure Travel Sports Rentals (Golden, CO) offers a variety of 4×4 adventure rigs for rent.
Tonto Trails (Durango, CO) specializes in Sportsmobile and Tiger Expedition vehicle rentals.
Cruise America offers RV rentals at more than 100 locations throughout the U.S.
El Monte RV offers RV rentals at a variety of locations in the U.S.